Monday, October 10, 2011

Mark Yanko

Today we are getting to know the artist Mark Yanko.
Thank you so much for stopping by today Mark.
You can see more of his artwork at his website 
Mark sells his psp tubes through MTA
Mark's style of artwork is pinup. He favors asian pinups
but does a variety of women.




1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?  I started my first website some time around 2002. I received many e-mails over time from people interested in the psp hobby. I was asked many, many times for permission to use my art in personal psps tags. I granted this permission to use my art for free over and over. Finally, when GILD began as what I think may have been the first artists' tubing company, this situation had reached a point where I could no longer personally keep up with answering these requests. It also didn't seem right to me that I was putting so much of myself into my art as well as so much time and energy, but not seeing the kinds of financial returns from it that other artist were apparently seeing for theirs from psp hobbyists. I started my website initially in the hopes of generating extra income to help the family I planned to start. So this is how and why I became a pay-to-use artist.

2) What does your artwork mean to you? People have told me they enjoy my drawing, so this is primarily what it means to me. I like the idea of someone getting a lift from my art, maybe a little smile of delight or just a sexy feeling that they then carry over into their real-life relationships. Life can be downright terrible at times, right? So anything that makes somebody think even slightly in a positive way can be meaningful.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork? I love and am in love with women in general. I think there is no
greater beauty than a woman's beauty. It's also true that there are many things that women in general will do that drive me, as an average guy, pretty damned crazy. Sorry, ladies! But I still love women. You are life's great joy!

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes? Umm, how long would that be, now? Since GILD started, which was when?

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork? The artwork is always done in black and white on paper, either with pen or brush and ink, or pencil. I do no drawing digitally. Coloring is always done at the end of the process, digitally and by another hand, tailored to my preferences and sometimes to my specifications. This keeps doing pin-up art a fresh thing for me, as far as a creative subject. I like working with a separate color artist because I like the elements of surprise and delights that can often result. This in turn makes me want to go back and draw more.

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork? At the moment, due to ongoing health issues, I am only creating new art for the psp market. I'd like to publish another book collection of drawings eventually.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you? I'm more likely to be inspired by older comic books artists like Wally Wood than by fellow modern practitioners of pin-up art. It isn't that I dislike art by my peers, it's just that I don't have a lot of time to see it. I love the art of Bruce Timm and Cameron Stewart, and avidly collect their originals.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible? Absolutely. I've always said that I have an on-going love affair with this community. I deeply appreciate all the interest that psp-ers have shown over the years for my drawing.

Thank you, all of you!

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community? Many of you are just awfully, awfully nice people. Thank you again!


10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and why?

I have a soft spot for some of my older drawings which were colored by my friend Vladimir Fiks, who passed away suddenly and at far too young an age very recently. Asian Eyes was the first image of mine that Vlad colored. It can be seen as the home page illustration on my original website, www.pmkane.com/yanko/. Vlad was the first person to digitally color my work. He was the nicest guy and a brilliant artist, and I think about him every day.

I also like Sweet Alyssa, which was colored by Buffy Gibson. This was the first piece of art of mine to be done by Buffy. Both of us put a lot of work into this one, and you'd probably be surprised if I told you how many variants I put Buffy through to produce the final image. Thanks, Buffy!

A recent favorite is Lotus, which was colored by Bob Sparhawk, who's another good guy. This drawing was rendered as a tribute to Felicia Tang, the popular internet nude model who was murdered in September 2009.

And more recently, I'm working with a lady whom I feel is a wonderful color artist, but who does not want her name identified. This saddens me, because I think she's incredibly talented and deserves to be recognized. Real Wild Child is one that she's tinted that I like very much.

11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non animated? Or are both great to you?

I like both. There's a lot to be said for a tastefully created tag that doesn't move, but relies on a strong graphic sense that combines word and image to make us look and look twice. And animated tags can really be a delight, if they're done well and if the motion that's chosen to be conveyed is appropriate for the drawing.

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which taggers may have?

I don't do commissions any more, mainly because they create weird anxiety and stress for me, probably as a by-product of my illness. I was diagnosed last year with Graves Disease and hyperthyroidism. I've been sick but will hopefully be on the mend soon, after this is finally taken care of. Ideas are always listened to, and welcomed.

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc.

I try to be as open-minded as possible. But I don't care for mirroring, and I ask people who tag from my work not to flop figures.

14) Would you like to receive tags which our members may do featuring your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our members.

Yes, please!


Mark Yanko
www.markyanko.com

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview and lot of info for us :) Love your work Mark and Sarah fantastic idea for a blog!!!!

    Hugs
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome interview yall, thanks so much for sharing your talent with us mark, and thanks sarah for putting this up great idea :-)
    huggers
    Rita

    ReplyDelete