Sunday, October 9, 2011

Featured Artist Robin McQuay



Today we are talking with the wonderful artist Robin McQuay.
She does very emotional artwork in her style.
You can find her website here and purchase her
psp tubes at DC.

Please read the very interesting and informative
interview with Robin.  She is a favorite artist
of mine as well .I think she brings her artwork to life
in a way no one can.Robin is married to Brian and
they have three cats now.

Thank you so much Robin for talking with us & sharing
your artwork with us. 


Interview:

1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?
                I was actually approached by a tube site over 4 years ago who wanted me to come to their site, but changed their mind about a week later. (I won’t say their name though!) Then I was approached a few weeks later from Up Your Art.

2) What does your artwork mean to you?
                My art is everything to me. I go back and forth with my art, like a dysfunctional relationship, I just want to give up and find something else but  I couldn’t live without art in my life. If I didn’t have a way to get my emotions and everything inside me on to paper, I’d go crazy. I love creating art with emotion so those mean the most to me, like they’re a part of my soul in a way. I can look back on them and remember every emotion I was feeling while creating it.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?
                Honestly, just about everything inspires me in different ways. Obviously, I’m inspired a lot by beautiful, sexy, dark women full of emotion. I find a lot of stock photos that I know right away I have to draw. Sadness inspires me most I think. I’ve just always been fascinated with sadness and the stories behind why people are sad, whether it just be a bad day or something horrible in their life that has happened. Music inspires me very much too. Anyone who is a big fan of music can probably notice 80% of my artwork titles come from song lyrics. And many of the tattoos as well. Nature inspires me a lot. And many, many….many other artists inspire me as well.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?
                It was 4 years in July.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?
                ALL of my art is freehand. I don’t do digital art nor do I have much interest in doing it. Something about having the actual drawing to hold in my hands is awesome. Seeing every pencil stroke, the shine of the paint, how the white stands out.
               
                I use just about every traditional medium in my art. My favorites are my 6B charcoal pencils and white charcoal pencils. I use Sharpie markers a lot too. Also use pens, pastel pencils, and then watercolors for all the background/scenery  you see in my art.

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create with your artwork?
                I have stamps for sale here> http://www.katstamps.com/store/index.php. I’d love to someday have many things available in my art. Calendars, notebooks, buttons, posters….everything. I’d also love to do comic book covers, book covers and cd covers for bands. I have many hopes and dreams for my art.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists have influenced you?
                I had pretty much no influence at all up until I was about 18 years old. The only art I knew was my mom and grandpa and the classics we learned about in high school.  So I think that’s why I have such a distinct style, I just drew and painted how I wanted to. Once I met my husband he introduced me to comic books and I fell in love with many, many artists. I love many types of art and wish I could paint like them all but I don’t think many of them have actually influenced my own art. Maybe just inspire me to keep creating. My favorites though are Luis Royo, Olivia, Alberto Vargas, David Mack, Tara McPherson, James Jean, Zindy….and sooooo many others.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known with getting their names and artwork more visible?
                I think so. Especially with me for sure. The first 6 months I was at Up Your Art, I was selling tons of  original art and getting so much more recognition. The psp community is a big world. I think it’d be almost impossible to not get noticed and more well known. You get a lot of loyal fans and people who follow everything you do.

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?
                I’ve gotten to know many people who I consider good friends. There are many bad people I’ve met also, unfortunately, but the good friends I’ve met through the psp world are ones who I know would defend me and support me no matter what and trust in me. I love seeing the tags people make with my art as well. I know many people just do it for themselves personally so I don’t get to see very many but I always love seeing how people take my art and make their own creations. Especially the ones that have a lot of personal meaning for me, they seem to get that and can create a tag that makes the drawing even more full of meaning.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robin, I like your art! Would've written privately if I'd been able to find an e-mail online anywhere.(I hate facebook now, and plan never to go there if I can help it.) As far as being inspired by sadness, hey, I thought I was the only one. :-0 I can relate to this! Keep drawin'.....


    Best wishes,
    Mark Yanko

    ReplyDelete