Monday, April 4, 2016

Erin Ewer

Hello readers! Thank you for joining us this evening. We are delighted to be reopening the corner again. Our first interview after a long break is the talented Erin Ewer. You can find more of her beautiful art on her website.







1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?

I was reached out to a few years ago by MTA.

2) What does your artwork mean to you?

For me my artwork is primarily an expression of creation. I love imagining things, and I have a desire for them to be real.
Art is about as close as I can get to making the things I see in my head a reality. It can be a meditation tool at times as well,
and serves as a memory log, much like photographs for most people.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?
Music, books, movies, and often things I have an interest in completely outside my art. Jellyfish, Moths, Fungi, Owls, and
plants are a huge inspiration on what I decide to create. Lately music has been my biggest inspiration; listening to songs that
inspire visuals in my head have been pushing at me!

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?

Three or four years I believe

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?

My artwork is primarily traditional. While I do do Digital work on occasion, I mostly use watercolors. My main tools are of
course my brushes and paint. I do use photoshop occasionally though in the sketching phase, when I need to alter or fix, size
up or down, or rearrange a composition on a more complicated piece. I used to do it all by hand, but Photoshop is much faster,
and saves paper.

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork?

My artwork is featured on a number of tangible items, from boxes and keychains to pocket mirrors and journals. Postcards and
bookmarks are a great inexpensive way to own a favored piece of artwork without needing wall space to enjoy it.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you?

Oh so many. I am strongly influenced by Alphonse Mucha and the entire Art Nouveau movement. I absolutely adore classical works,
especially anything depicting Greek or roman gods and goddesses.
When I was about 12 or 13 I came across Amy Brown's Fairies online, and fell in love with not only the subject, but the
medium. Thanks to her, I picked up my first set of watercolors and committed to them as my medium of choice. On the way,
David Delamare, Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, and far too many more to count have been a huge inspiration for my art.
Most recently, Kelly Mckernen has been a huge influence on becoming more liberal with my washes, and really embracing that
Art Nouveau aspect that I love so much without having to commit to a fully stylized piece.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible?

All exposure does this to a degree, so I am sure that many people who had not known me previously were introduced to me art
by the psp community.

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?

Seeing the creations that others create using my art.

10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and why?

Absenthe Fairy- I'm proud of the design and complexity of the piece, Green also happens to be my favorite color, so how could I
not love this one?

These Impossible Dreams- This one I feel was not only executed beautifully, but the subject is very dear to
me. When I was young, my favorite movie was the little mermaid, only my dreams were the opposite of hers. To me it represents
the impossible dreams we have as children, hoping somehow to become something we can never be.

Lucid - a Huge breakthrough for me in several ways. This was a much larger size than I normally work in, and the complexity
of the jellyfish and hydrangea flowers was a long and daunting task I had to force myself to power through. It was one of my
first attempts with extensive washes, and I very much enjoy the surreal atmosphere, and the disparity between size, distance,
and location.

Dryad- I just love the look of this one, the colors and the unusual mash up of shapes and styles, somehow managing to form
a coherant piece.

11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non animated? Or are both great to you?

I do not have a preference.

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which taggers may have?

I am open to all kinds of commissions, from private to commercial use.

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc.

I do not allow the images to be altered beyond color changes. For example, I would not allow someone to alter the size of the eyes of someone
in my painting to make it more cartoonish, or anything along those lines. I feel that those kinds of alterations compromise
the integrity of my work, and make it look like something other than my style of painting/drawing.

14) Would you like to receive tags which our readers may do featuring your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our readers.
Sure! It's always fun to see what others have been inspired to make from my artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment