Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Woz

Today the multi talented artist Woz has stopped by. You can see more of
his artwork on his facebook page.He sells his psp tubes at My Tubed Art or MTA.
Thank you for joining us Woz. How nice of you to stop by and talk wth us.
Below are two examples of artwork by Woz followed by the interview.


1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?

woz: When I first joined Facebook I was approached by several of the Companies that had seen my work.


2) What does your artwork mean to you?

woz: For me Art is everything! I know that seems a bit cliche!!! I have been an artist since I won a Scholarship at the age of 12. I was selling art in Primary School and got in trouble for it, but the teacher was very understanding and gave me an application to the scholarship program. I haven't looked back. Art represents freedom! Another cliche, but it's the truth. The viewer of an artwork is entirely free to draw an insight or inspiration from what they see.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?

woz: Ordinary people always inspire me. I really get inspired by making people smile. At the end of the day if someone gets or gives a little joy from art then it's enough inspiration for me to continue producing new and exciting images. I just love being creative and thinking up new concepts & ideas.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?

woz: About 15 months now.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?

woz: I am trained in all the traditional mediums from my scholarship - from puppetry and sculpture to oils and chalk, you name it, I've used it at some stage. I was trained on a Mac in the early 90's on Photoshop and have pretty well mastered my Corel Photo Paint tool box over the last ten years. I have a preference for Corel because it can do everything all the other packages can and a little bit more. Corel never gained an edge on the market so they offered more effects and tools as compensation. There's not much I can't handle.

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork?

woz: PSP Tubes are really only a new aspect to my creative profile, painting and drawing are my main preferences. I love to find alternative canvases and unique presentation methods. I have painted on eggs Emu, Ostrich, Duck etc.. and rocks, shells, saw blades, timber of numerous varieties, cloth, fridges, doors, cars, bikes, helmets and many other objects.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you?

woz: I would be hard pressed to pin-point any single artist in particular. I love the work of all the great and famous artists. To me, if I notice and am drawn to investigate more of their work then I feel inspired. Of course I had a few favourites as a child such as Salvador Dali, Rembrandt, Van Gough, Boris Vallejo, Frank Frazetta and Frederick McCubbin. Today, my work has been heavily influenced and pivoted towards the style that is seen in the PSP community by the hand and eye of artists such as Alberto Ruiz, Michael Calandra, Al Rio, Michael Mobius, Armando Huerta, Lorenzo Sperlonga etc.. the list is endless. As far as the more personable side of arts relations I find Jc Bravo, Jay Trembley, Christopher Pew and Alberto Ruiz very personable and I am able to gain inspiration and insight through conversation and feedback with these masters of the brush and pen. An artist with a good sense of humour is always going to get along with and inspire me. We art types are fickle and extreme in all our diverse moods. These guys show they are just human beings with a love of art - just like me. I know that these names all seem heavily gender biased so to be fair I want to give mention my most favourite female artists Cate Rangel, Olivia De Berardinis, Jennifer Janesko, Italia Ruotolo and Sas Christian (partner of Colin Christian who is also extremely inspiring)There it is!!! I could just keep on listing so many great and inspirational artists and this would be waaaay to long. I better leave it at that.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible?

woz: I would have to say, "Yes - Absolutely". Taggers & PSP Scrap Kit fans are more dedicated to their passion and they actually help in bringing artists together. Either that or they make artists more aware of the diversity that is out there. For me, that keeps it edgy. Most Artists, like myself would make more money from the sale of a couple of canvases than they would from sales of copyright on digital images. It's never about money if you're an artist. You might as well give up now if you think you can pick up a brush and make it rich. So the PSP community is exactly that: a way of becoming more visible and sharing with a larger audience. So far as getting a name, I think some artists get their names more well known, but I haven't been doing it long enough to know.

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?

woz: Definitely the feedback. Like I said before for me it's about the smiles and when someone tells me they like and used my work and they are happy then that's a huge plus for me. I love to communicate. If you love life and art then you have to make it about people. We're all here for one another.

1 comment:

  1. I knew Woz would give the best interview yet! He inspires me as a Human. Wonderful man then artist.

    ReplyDelete