Thursday, January 5, 2012

Keith Garvey

Today we are visited by the talented artist Keith Garvey, the Godfather of Pin-up. Keith has been a fixture in the PSP community from the beginning and continues to wow taggers with his pin-up artwork. You can visit his website and purchase his PSP tubes at CDO. Thank you for talking with us Keith.




1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?

Early on in my career , I was creating pinups for fun and displaying them with the hopes that people would like them and hire me to do commissioned work, and also get feed back from them. I would get letters every day from people asking if they could use my work as a tube. I had no idea what a tube was. I would say yes and then not even think much about it. Soon it became 3 -mail then 10 e-mail a day, requesting the use of my work. Eventually it was a full blown trend. I had to limit the amount people could use and fights started over the use of them. It was getting crazy.It was then when a guy in California, (who was aware of the tagging community ) had a great idea to offer my work as tubed images for sale.  The artist Guild. From that point on it just took off

2) What does your artwork mean to you?

That's a really god question. No one has ever asked that before...I have always loved pinup art as long as I can remember. I wanted to be a pinup artist for ever. So, now that I can actually do it for a living is a dream come true. I agonize over every pinup I create. Each one is important to me. I want to be the best pinup artist with the best technique. I try to make each image a new unique piece of art. Its my identity now and I'm proud of it. Plus I'm the luckiest guy I know. I get to work on things I love.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?

I don't really need much inspiration. I seem to be inspired all the time. I love the beauty of women, and that seems to be enough.  Although I will say that when a pinup is popular with the tagger's , and I get a good reaction from them, its very inspiring.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?

Well this goes back to the early 2000's. I think about 10 years or so.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?

I use a combination of techniques. I come up with an idea then I draw some of it, like the idea or basic sketch. Then I scan that in to my computer and paint it with Photoshop.. I use a bunch of reference pieces to get it as realist as I can

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork?

I do commissions for people all the time as well as Logo designs and web site images for various different purposes. As well as portraits and cartoons. I have even done peoples pets. That always interesting. 

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you?

 My favorite artists are...Aberto Varges,  Sorayama ,Milo Manara  Patrick Nagel, Frank Frazetta, and Paolo Eleuteri Serpiari. But it was Varges who had the biggest influence on me. He's the master and the most well known pinup artist.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible?

 Yes. I think that's true. It certainly is true for me. I was one of the first PSP artists. I think my popularity is directly related to PSP. I think the exposure of my art threw PSP has made my work reach more people and helped me establish my career.

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?

That's an easy one. Its the direct feed back. As soon as I get a pinup out, I get e-mail from lots of people. They are almost always very nice and want to let me know how much they love the work. Its so much fun to hear that, and it makes me want to quickly get a new piece out, to get more responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment