Friday, June 1, 2012

Kayla Ascencio

Hello Readers! This morning we are joined by the artist Kayla Ascencio.Kayla has a darker style to her artwork that brings out emotion from the audience.You can visit her website and purchase her PSP tubes at CDO. Thank you so much for talking with us Kayla.





1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community? I was able to become part of the psp tube community by having an account on Deviantart. One of the founders of Dreamscape Imaging viewed my paintings on the art website and offered for me to become a part of their community made up of a wide variety of talented artists.

2) What does your artwork mean to you? My artwork means being able to share my way of thinking and concepts with everyone else. I always like to tell a story with my paintings. With a written story no matter how descriptive your words are every reader will interpret them differently and form their own visuals based off the text. With a painting, the viewer can come up with their own interpretations of what they see, but everyone has the same image to draw conclusions from. What I am seeing in my mind is what everyone else sees just their feelings and ideas toward it vary.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork? I get my inspiration to create artwork from a little bit of everything. My main inspirations are nature and other artists‘ work, whether it be concepts I see in artwork or the way it is technically done. Anytime I see artwork I consider superior to my level, rather then let it discourage me it makes me want to paint even more to reach that level. I’m also inspired by movies, television, books ,and music. Anything Victorian style or old fashioned I find influential as well.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes? I have been offering my artwork as psp tubes for approximately a year now.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork? I create the majority of my artwork with acrylic paint on illustration board. My work is always traditionally done. Occasionally, I will do mixed medium pieces of airbrushed watercolor and color pencil on illustration board. My favorite type of paints are the Liquitex Basics acrylic tubes and my favorite brushes are the cheap bristol ones. They are perfect for blending. I also use larger brushes to fill in big areas and liner brushes for detailing. When I airbrush, I always use the watercolors in tubes and a Paashe double action airbrush. The color pencils I work with are Prismacolors.

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork? I offer prints of my artwork for sale on my website kaylafantasyart.com . Other then prints, I am working on adding a variety of products to my Zazzle store Ascenciok . I also offer pet portraits painted on glass Christmas ornaments on my website.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you? My teacher while I attended school was a huge influence on my development of style and ultimately deciding what subjects I prefer to paint most. He always pushed me to go further and really think everything through. He also assisted me in becoming more creative with my work. I find pretty much any fantasy or gothic artwork inspiring. It was artists like Victoria Frances and Amy Brown that initially made me consider a career as an artist when I was in high school. I have since discovered quite a few similar genre type artists I look up to. I also have made friends with several incredibly talented artists on various art communities that are influential to my style.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible? I believe the psp community is an excellent way to promote any artist. With Dreamscape Imaging it is a requirement that the creator of the tube must credit the artist along with include the artist’s website. Any type of promotion is a
positive thing. Even if the only one person discovers your artwork from the tube, that’s one person that did not know about your artwork before.

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community? My favorite part is how friendly everyone seems. I’m part of the Dreamscape Imaging Facebook page as well as their group. I have had nothing but good experiences with both. I also love being able to see
the tags people make using my work. It’s very flattering to me that anyone would find my work inspiring enough that they would want to create their own artwork from it.

10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and why? There are certain paintings of mine that are favorites for how they are technically done and there are others I consider favorites for the concepts. It’s very difficult to choose only a small selection. If I had
to choose some my favorites are Facade, Made of Stone, The Witching Hour, The Guardian, and Misery.

11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non animated? Or are both great to you? I take anything anyone would like to create
with my artwork as a compliment.. I have not seen any animated tags of my artwork yet, but would love to see some in the future.

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which taggers may have? I have not had anyone inquire if I would do this
type of commission before. If the person has a good enough idea, I would definitely take it into consideration.

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc. I’m not very strict on what people can and can not do with my artwork. As long as nobody is claiming it as their own artwork or selling prints of my work I really do not care what is done with it. Anytime a tagger wants to use my work I take it as a huge compliment. If someone has a creative idea, I wouldn’t want to prevent them from realizing it over my being picky.

14) Would you like to receive tags which our readers may do featuring your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our members. I would love to see any tags done featuring my work. As I said several times, I take the desire to use my artwork as a huge compliment. Seeing any of these tags would definitely help brighten my day a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment