Thursday, May 31, 2012

Melia Newman

Hello Readers! This evening we are joined by the artist Melia Newman.Melia creates adorable fantasy animals such as dragons and mercats in her artwork.You can visit her website and purchase her PSP tubes at CDO. Thank you so much for talking with us Melia.





1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?
Maigan Lynn and I were licensed with the same company for digital stamps and I was looking at some of her work and saw some of the wonderful things folks were making with her tubes and started looking into it.

2) What does your artwork mean to you?
Escapism, pure and simple. I have to create or I get a bit twitchy and I might as well create a world I enjoy.
Something pretty fun and a little bit on taking out my troubles.
When the cats (or specifically Willow) is being bad, you will see a lot more mercats because I can't imagine anything a cat would hate more.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?
The kids (both 2 and 4 legged versions). The mercats and fairy cats are inspired by my daughter and the kitties. The dragons are inspired by my son and the dog. As a result the fantasy cats are very girlie and the dragons are bundles of trouble.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes? Not very long. I was with another company for a couple years before they went out of business. I loved working with them and seeing the things folks were making with my tubes, and contacted CDO as soon as I got the word that the other company would be closing their doors. CDO had all my favorite artists, and I was so thrilled they wanted to work with me.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork? These days I work mostly with watercolor with inked outlines. Back in the days I did big outdoor shows I worked in acrylics and in my college days I worked in oils. And now I am teaching myself digital. My husband jokes that my muse is really a magpie and I get distracted by new and shiney.

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork? Rubber stamps and fabric blocks with Queen Kat Designs and cross stitch patterns with Misty Dreamz. I also make bookmarks and note cards.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you? Mucha, Picasso, Laurel Burch, Brad Foster. I have been very lucky to have someone like Brad living in my part of the world. I met him for the first time when I was 16 and I think he should shoulder the most blame for me even attempting to persue art as a career full time.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible? I think so. I have not really thought of it that way. I really enjoy seeing how folks will create something new from what I do. It turns the art making into more of a conversation. They see something in my work they like and they create their own unique response to my work through the things they create with the tubes.

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community? Seeing others create their own unique work from elements of my work. There is a little thrill to seeing folks respond to my work by creating something new with it.

10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and why? Well my inner magpie is going to show here - my favorite art work is usually the one I just finished or the one I am working on now. My mot recent work is what is taking up all my brain space, and I obsess a bit over it until I start on something new.

11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non animated? Or are both great to you? Both are beautiful, but I like non-animated best. And my reason is probably really silly. A few years ago I had a really really slow computer and every time I came on a page with those pretty sparkling tubes, my poor computer would crash. I still have a minor panic everytime I see one in fear that my computer will die. But my inner magpie really loves anything that sparkles.

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which taggers may have? I have not actually come across that yet, but if someone offered up an idea I liked I don't see why I would say no. I have done a few commissioned paintings and am working on illustrating a children's book now for a local song writer.

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc. No. As long as it isn't rude or mean spirited I don't mind.

14) Would you like to receive tags which our readers may do featuring your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our members. I love recieving tags folks have made with my artwork. I will sometimes feature them on my facebook fan page too. I can't make my own tags, my brain just doesn't work that way, but I love the look of them,

No comments:

Post a Comment