Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Popeye Wong

Tonight the wonderful artist Popeye Wong has stopped by.
Popeye has been a fixture in the psp community for many years.
He offers FTU psp tubes on his website for taggers.
You can find his website here.



1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?
Back in 2004, I got the first e-mail requesting me for my permissions
to use my artwork in tags. Back then I had no idea what tags were, but
after a brief explanation, I liked the idea and started giving
permissions. Soon after that, I started to get invited to join tagging
groups. I couldn't join all of them, but I made a point to at least
visit them once to say hello. I frequented a couple of them more than
the others, and I got involved actively with their activities for over a
year. After that, life took over and my involvement with the community
pretty much ended. I still give permissions (I have an open letter in my
website), and try to support the community whenever possible.

2) What does your artwork mean to you?
My artwork is a form of expression. My most popular work are my toons,
and I love to make fun of the world through them. I like to express
whatever comes to my mind. I love depicting women, be it inside the
stereotype, or portraying a look that doesn't fall into conventional
terms. Either way is fun.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?
Pretty much anything that surrounds me. It's like a "click". I could be
watching TV, or listening to music, or just driving down the street and
I see (or hear) something that gives me an idea. I wish I could draw
quicker, so I could portray everything that goes through my mind.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?
I don't really sell tubes. I never have and I don't think I ever will.
My artwork is free to use. I really enjoy sharing it. Nothing wrong with
selling tubes, it's just not for me.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?
Actually, I do both. I render my toons digitally, and I render my
pinups with aibrushed acrylics. Regardless of the style, I always start
with pencil work. In the case of the toons, I do a sketch, scan it and
then color it in the computer. For the pinups, I do a detailed pencil
drawing, and then I go over it with acrylic paint.

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork?
I do sell merchandise featuring my artwork, like prints, stickers,
magnets, mouse pads, t-shirts and bottle caps. I'm always thinking of
new things where I can incorporate my artwork.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you?
For my toons, my biggest influences are Rion Vernon and Dean Yeagle.
For the pinups, Alberto Vargas and Gil Elvgreen. For the Fantasy work,
Luis Royo and Boris Vallejo. I have a style on my own now, but back
then, my work was heavily based on theirs.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible?
I really believe so. My work has spread so much with the help of the
tagging community. That doesn't necessary translate in more work, but I
can really see how much exposure my work got.

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?
Seeing my artwork in so many wonderful creations. It amazes me to see
how much variations of my work I can see. I consider tagging a form of
art, so it makes me proud to see my artwork inspiring more artwork.

10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and
why?
There are too many to mention. When I work in a new piece, in regular
circumstances, I give a part of me to it. So, at the end, it's very
logical that I feel connected to that image. You never know which images
will be popular, though, that's something that the public chooses on
their own.

11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non animated? Or
are both great to you?
Both of them are great for me, I love to see tags in all modalities and
styles.

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which
taggers may have?
I do commission work in general, from taggers and non-taggers (however,
it seems like I'll stop doing commissions, at least for the next year,
to focuse more on personal projects). I always accept ideas from whoever
wants to contribute (again, from taggers and non-taggers).

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your
artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc.
I don't put any restrictions with my artwork at all, you can crop it,
feather it, mirror it, stretch it, animate it, etc. The only thing that
I completely forbid to do with my artwork, is to use it for hate or
prejudice propaganda (I don't want to see my artwork in any kind of
religious, racial, sexual, etc. prejudice).

14) Would you like to receive tags which our members may do featuring
your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our members.
I always love to see tags. Sadly, with my work load growing every day,
I'm often unable to send a message to the authors of the tags. However,
rest assured that if you send me your tag, I will open and see it
personally. I do appreciate the time and effort that each and one of you
put into every tag every time I see a new creation. Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment