Friday, January 27, 2012

Dirk Richter

Tonight we are talking with the artist Dirk Richter. Dirk has been a part of the PSP commumity for a long time and is known for his pin-up style. You can visit his website and purchase his PSP tubes at CDO. Thank you so much for talking with us Dirk.



 1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?
A couple of years ago I was approached by a psp company, and they asked if I would like to sell my art as tubes.
At first I really didn't know what psp and tubes is, but my contact explained it to me. So I signed a contract
and I was in the middle of the tube company. Now I am glad to be a part of the family, it is so much fun, and
all of the taggers and tubers out there really do awesome stuff, great artworks of their own!

2) What does your artwork mean to you?
It means a lot to me, although I still just do my art in my spare time. That's why I only bring out 10-12 new drawings
a year. But still, I calm down after a hard day of work when I sit down at my drawing table and have my pencils in my hand.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?
Photography from others, pictures from others, artwork from others. There are so many sites out in the internet from which you can get inspirations. For example a picture of photgrapher GW Burns, who I really admire, inspired me to do my striped works. And now I think those stripes are kind of a distinctive feature for me. And of course requests from fans, who want to see a particular pose or costume or anything else, and where I think to myself that that would be a great idea. So inspiration is everywhere out there!

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?
A couple of years now, I think it was 2006 when I was first aproached. First I was at MyPSPtubes, and now I am part
of CDO.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?
All my work is done traditionally, and I work mostly more than 50 hours on each piece.
I use pencil which you can get in any store, so nothing unusual. My preferred ones
are H, F, B, 2B and 4B, and I have two mechanical pencils (B and 2B). When I started drawing I tried a lot of different papers until I found the one which is perfect for me and my style: it's called Schoellerhammer 4R, and for blending I use blending sticks and tissues. I have two videos out on youtube where you can see how I work , if you're intersted. The colored pieces of mine are mostly digitally colored, there is only one piece which is colored with colored pencils, so traditionally again.

6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork?
Well, I have an online shop, where you can buy all kinds of merchandise with my artwork on it (like mugs, shirts, mousepads), and if I don't have it there, just ask me, and I would see if that could be possible,almost everything is. But mostly I sell prints and posters of my artwork, and of course, not to forget, my own
artbook.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you?
When I first started to draw pinups, that was in 2004, I had a series of artbooks (Artfantastix series), and I was and still am influenced by most all of them. I even tried to contact those who I admired most. Erik Drudwyn, John Hul,
Monte Moore where the first to answer, and that's why I think I was influenced the most by these three. I asked them how they did their work, asked for step by steps, and tried to copy their styles. They really helped me developing my own style. I even met Monte Moore at a convention here in Germany, and we talked hours about my art.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible?
For me as an artist who only creates not too many pieces a year it is really hard to get known, and the psp community sure does help me a lot! Thanks so much for that!

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?
Seeing all those beautiful tags that are beeing created. They are all little pieces of art for themselves. And it
doesn't matter if they are done with my art, or art of others, I adore all of the work!
And the community is so nice, never heard anyone say anything bad about others! It really is a family, and I am proud to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment