Saturday, January 28, 2012

Joanna Bromley

This evening the talented artist Joanna Bromley has stopped by. Joanna does wonderful fantasy and nature inspired images in her artwork. You can visit her website and purchase her tubes at PSP Tube Stop. Thank so much for talking with us Joanna.




1) How did you become a part of the PSP tube community?

About 3 or 4 years ago , I was approached by a tube company who saw my work in my DeviantArt gallery, asking if I wanted to sell my work as tubes for tagging. I had no idea what tubing/tagging was, but loved the idea of other artists presenting my work in another artistic form.

2) What does your artwork mean to you?

Well…all of my illustrations/paintings are my babies. Illustrating and drawing has always been my greatest joy and comfort and I nurture my work from sketch to finished painting and beyond

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?
 Gosh…where to start! J I have always been an avid daydreamer, and when I hear certain music, in my case, New Age, see wonderful films, i.e. Disney cartoons and fantasy movies and of course read books of all kinds, I would get sucked in and my imagination would run wild! I have always been fascinated by the play of colours you find in nature, whether that be rainbows, sunlight hitting flower petals, the colours of clouds before and after a storm…this list could go on forever! Basically, I get inspiration from anything, anywhere!

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?

I believe I have been selling tubes since 2008 and have signed up with a new tube company, Psp Tube Stop that started up in December 2010.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?

I have always worked with traditional mediums, mainly with watercolours and coloured pencils, each on their own or combined for certain effects and have started using acrylics in some of my work. . I love to combine detailed, illustrative compositions with colour combinations that tell stories of their own and give people a comforting sense of nostalgia.


6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create with your artwork?

When I have completed my work, I scan them in at high resolution so I can make and sell open edition and limited edition prints in my Etsy Shop and offer various merchandise, like greeting cards, invites, stickers, wrapped canvases etc. in my Zazzle Store and DeviantArt.. For a couple of years now, I have also been creating and selling ACEO (Art Card Editions and Originals) art. These are highly collectable and affordable, miniature artworks no larger than trading card size( 2.5x3.5 inches). 
My work is also licensed with several companies for sale as tubes, cross- stitch designs, fabric blocks and rubber stamps.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you?

As a child I was heavily influenced by the written and illustrated works of Beatrix Potter and Cicely Mary Barker with her “Flower Fairies”. I was also captivated by the bright colouring and illustrated storytelling of Disney animation. movies. When I went to study Art & Design in England, I learnt a lot about art history and became fascinated by the Arts and Craft Movement and the classic illustration and fine art work of the late 19th century artists, Arthur Rackham, Waterhouse, John E, Hughes and other Pre-Raphaelite artists who combined romance and mythical folklore with wonderful scenic details in their work. These works still intrigue me whenever I see them and I like to think that my work, along with other modern day fantasy and children’s illustrators, will be looked upon in the same way and be just as inspiring to the next generations to come.

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible?

Of course! There are many different forms of art/artists and crafts out there and if an illustrators work can be licensed and used on as many different products as possible, i.e. tubes, cross stitch, stamps etc. the artistic loop seems to broaden as well as an artists visibility to the art world

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?

I love the group support and feedback you get from other tube artists and tag artists, as well as meeting and communicating with other artists from all over the world. I am also fascinated when I see tag artists create other digital creations with my traditional work. It is great, that my work is not completely finished with the illustration itself, but can be used and seen in many more forms.


10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and why?

The first illustration that comes to mind, is “Resting Fawn”, That was my first larger painting and therefore, more challenging for me in getting details just right. I took meticulous care with the brush strokes to create the fur and I am so very proud of the way the eyes came out! “Magical Tunes” would be the second painting that springs to mind. I created this painting for the opening exhibit of Drawgasmic.com and put a bit of all in that piece, lots of detail, fairies, elves, flora, fauna, fairytale details and creating strong nostalgic emotions through certain colour combinations. I sold this piece to a woman who wanted to put this up in a nursery, ready for the arrival of her child…that was very flattering and emotional for me to know that this child would grow up and go to sleep and wake up looking at my work. “Fairy Tunes” is the third piece I would like to mention, it is done entirely in coloured pencils on brown Ingres Pastel paper and has wonderful textures that play with the colours you apply. It just gives a certain vibe that I love, I cannot pin point the exact reason why I love it, I just do!

11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non animated? Or are both great to you?
 I would be delighted in seeing both!. As I do not know too much about digital art forms I am intrigued when I see what can be done.

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which taggers may have?

I am available for all sorts of commissions, yes! I am currently working on an exclusive tube design for the pinkribbon.org, fundraising event, "Taking Back PSP" taking place at the end of March.

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc.

I am pretty flexible about my work, but I don’t like my work to be distorted, or have individual colours in i.e. the hair/flowers, clothes changed from the original.

14) Would you like to receive tags which our readers may do featuring your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our members.

Yes please! I have a Facebook artists page where I can show tag work off, so please send a link or post on my artists wall. I look forward to seeing what people come up with!
Facebook Art Page:


No comments:

Post a Comment