Monday, June 11, 2012

JM Leotti

Hello Readers! Tonight we are talking with the artist JM Leotti.
You can visit her website and purchase her tubes at CDO.

JM Leotti is a painter and sculptor of mostly fantasy subjects. She works in acrylics, watercolors and polymer clay. Her sculptures have appeared in national magazines such as American Miniaturist, Dollhouse Miniatures, & Contemporary Doll Collector. Her 2-D images are currently licensed with Heaven & Earth Designs, a cross-stitch company, Creative Design Outlet, (tubes) and Kat’s Magical Patches (stamps, forthcoming). In October/November 2008 she had a one-woman exhibit “Finding Faerie-the Art of JM Leotti” at Zahra’s Studio in Beacon, New York. She sells her art on eBay and to private collectors. She lives in New York, with her husband, Paul Bachem, who is a landscape painter.








1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?
I was actually introduced to it through my friend, Fred Winkler. He suggested I send my artwork to CDO. I don't know a thing about it otherwise, but I love the tags I receive from fans as gifts!

2) What does your artwork mean to you?
Everything! Creating is my life. If I’m not creating, then I’m really unhappy!

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?
Lots of things, the sound of rain, the way the sun glows on the horizon just before it drops into night, movie soundtrack music, all kinds of music, really. I love myths and folklore and lots and lots of fantasy TV, like Supernatural, Buffy, Angel, Charmed, and recently, Game of Thrones on HBO.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?
Not long, about two years.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?
I don’t know how to use digital painters, although I wouldn’t mind learning. I use watercolors and acrylics, which are my favorite mediums. I also love Arches hot pressed 140 lb paper. It holds the details I like to put into my paintings. But sometimes I use smooth canvas.

6) Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create with your artwork?
My artwork has been licensed for cross-stitch patterns by Heaven and Earth Designs. I’m also licensed by Kat’s Magical Patches for stamps (coming soon).

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists have influenced you?
It’s a long list, but to name a few: Maxfield Parrish, John Waterhouse, Kinuko Y. Craft, Maurice Sendak, Frida Kahlo, N.C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, Magritte—I could go on and on!

8) Does the psp community help artists become more well-known with getting their names and artwork more visible?
I believe it does. The fans are so sweet, and create beautiful tags. I’m always amazed at their ideas. They use my images in ways I never expected!

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?
The people I’ve met and the pleasure of receiving a really imaginative tag as a gift! I also enjoy seeing the imagination and creativity that goes into making a tag. I learn a lot by experiencing what others see in my art.

10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and why?
I would have to say, Summoning Fire (which has not yet been tubed, but soon will be), Messenger, Banished, Snow Bringer, my portrait of Eric Northman, and Autumn’s Secret. Autumn’s Secret was my first faerie painting, and the one that made me decide to become a faerie artist.

1) Summoning Fire: http://jmleotti.com/works/651129/summoning-fire
2) Messenger: http://jmleotti.com/works/275937/messenger
3) Banished: http://jmleotti.com/works/461949/banished
4) Snow Bringer: http://jmleotti.com/works/266706/snow-bringer
5) Eric Northman: http://jmleotti.com/works/723200/eric-northman
6) Autumn’s Secret: http://jmleotti.com/works/248791/autumns-secret

11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non-animated? Or are both great to you?
Both are great, but I love animated ones. However, I’m not sure anyone has ever animated one of mine. If they have, I’d love to see it!

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which taggers may have?
I’m happy to do commissions for taggers so long as the subject matter interests me. There is no point to try and paint something that doesn’t inspire you—it never comes out right!

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc.
I agree with the rules written by CDO. I don’t allow anyone to use my art without a license number from them.

14) Would you like to receive tags which our readers may do featuring your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our readers.
Of course I would love to see tags your readers create! However, since I’m licensed with CDO, my artwork can’t be used unless you receive a number from them. But feel free to check out my page at CDO, and send me anything you create!
Thanks so much, Sarah, for featuring me on your blog. It was great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment