Friday, April 8, 2016

Sheena Pike

Good morning readers! I am bringing us all a bit of sunshine & color to our day with the artist Sheena Pike. It is a rather wet & dreary day here but her artwork will brighten up any day. You can visit her website here. Thank you so much for speaking with us this morning Sheena.






1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?

The owner of CDO approached me I had never considered my art for tubes didn't really know that people used drawings for that kind of thing I thought it was purely digital art that was used.  After speaking to another CDO artist I was convinced that it would be something well-suited for my art.

 2) What does your artwork mean to you?

All of my drawings mean different things individually, but as a whole my art is my future it is what I've always wanted to do. It's an extension of me and it has given me the ability to be my own boss and be the entrepreneur I always wanted to be. I can raise my daughters while working from home .... I can inspire other artists and be a working mom but more importantly be an artist who's making a name for herself . My art means I can create for a living.... And there really is nothing better than that.... Thanks to people who enjoy it and follow my work.

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?

So many things inspire me my kids being one large factor of inspiration. My Tea series in particular was inspired by my oldest daughter when she started her tea party phase as a toddler, from there it snowballed and now I've created a series and continue to add to it . My mood, nature even smells or feelings can come into play. I'm inspired by the ability to lose myself in my ideas.... my constant never ending visions.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?

I Do you believe it's been a year I don't know the exact time but it is approximately a year.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand
or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?

All my drawings are drawn by hand... Then I photograph my drawings to make prints and products . I use colored pencil and pastels specifically Faber Castel Polychromos and Prismacolor pencils paired with PanPastels.

My interview with PanPastel Company http://paintdrawblend.com/2015/11/artist-qa-sheena-pike/

I've also gotten into adding ink as well as glitter and embellished items, gems, paper flowers, buttons etc.. I like to be whimsy and different I like to think outside the box ....there are no rules. I do what feels right and what I think looks good.

 6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create
with your artwork?

My artwork is also licensed for Crosstitch which has been quite successful . I'm starting to become more well known in the Crosstitch community which is wonderful and the Crosstitch fans are so very gracious. I also have multiple online stores where I sell home items such as duvet covers and shower curtains as well as tote bag's greeting cards prints and even clothing. I have been overwhelmed with so many things and opportunities coming at me that I haven't had a chance to thoroughly upload as much as I would like but I hope to have all my stores fully stocked with items as drawings are completed.

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists
have influenced you? Craola , Scott Mills, Medusa Dolllmaker, Richard J Oliver,  fashion Artist Camille Pfister….and of course Jasmine Becket Griffith ..and so many more …too many to list.

 8)Does the psp community help artists become more well known
with getting their names and artwork more visible?

I do believe so, I know I've had many people come to me who had not known of my art until I started selling at CDO. Regardless in the end as artist it's up to us to inspire others and be seen. But most definitely it has helped.

9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?

My favorite part is just knowing that my drawing that started in my studio in my home is now in the hands of somebody who is inspired enough to create something from something I made.

10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and why?

Porcelain is one of my favorites more so because it was a transition, for me and my art. Something finally clicked and I found my niche. Ever since porcelain I have grown leaps and bounds and have continued to push my limits. Inner demons is another favorite 2014 was a very rough year for me and it reflects in the drawing greatly.

"We all have a darkness and it can be beautiful" - Sheena Pike

Also “Penelope” My Gift Wrapping Elf who was just a fun drawing that has snowballed into a Collection of Characters I continue to add to.

Tea & Periwinkle as the little girl my daughter Brooklynn Jade

Hydrangea is another as it reminds me of my Grandmother….she loves purple and Hydrangeas…..I gave her a print and Tote Bag last year as a gift. A cute story…After Giving my grandmother a Hydrangea Tote Bag as a gift , One day I went to her house for coffee …..she had hung the bag on the wall. It was so cute that I told her she was suppose to use the bag for groceries or mail and she said it was too beautiful….I then gave her a print so she would use her BAG…lol

11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non animated? Or are both great to you?

I don't mind the animation as long as the original form of the drawing is intact because I do portraits it can seem awkward if over animated I've seen one animated with sparkles and thought it was gorgeous .

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which taggers may have?

At this time I do not I have so much on my plate not only with my art business but raising two young girls (2 and 6 yrs) My oldest daughter is in kindergarten so often I am helping with her class. My husband is awesome and helps and supports me so much but I am trying to learn to do quality over quantity. To take on too much work would just be overwhelming and I would not want to get sloppy. I hope in the future once both my girls are both in school full-time I will have more time to do commissions.

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc.

No not really as long as the integrity of my art is intact .....copyrights are followed and ethically nothing is being done illegally I'm happy with whatever the customers want. All I ask is I be credited as the artist.  mirroring can be a little tricky with my drawings because they are portraits so the faces may look off proportionally.

 14) Would you like to receive tags which our readers may do featuring your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our readers.

I absolutely love getting them I love seeing what people come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment