Sunday, April 15, 2012

Michael Calandra

Hello Readers! Today we are talking with the talented artist Michael Calandra. Michael has been part of  the PSP community for a long time.Michael is known for his fantasy and gothic artwork in his images. You can visit his website and purchase his PSP tubes at CDO. Thank you so much for talking with us today Michael.




1) How did you become a part of the psp tube community?

I started years ago, through MyPSP Tubes. As you know, theft was an even bigger problem then. I hesitated to sign with anyone for a long time, but decided I liked the idea of having my work protected. I had a few companies, and even a few taggers, approach me about doing it. It was a fairly new idea back then, especially to me, but I am glad I did it!

 2) What does your artwork mean to you?

I think, like most artists, its just part of what you are. We use art in the same way others use words. Instead of me telling you what’s in my head, I try and show you. So in a way, it is an artist’s voice. 

3) What inspires you in creating your artwork?

Since I try and make some kind of emotional connection to a viewer, I tend to be influenced by figures, poses, and a model’s body language, which will relay what I am trying to convey. But, music also plays a role. There are lots of lyrics and music that have an effect when you listen to them. I sometimes try and tie the visual and emotional themes together. At least while I am working on them.

4) How long have you been selling psp tubes?

I think about 6 years or so.

5) How do you create your artwork? Is it by hand or digitally? What tools do you use in doing the artwork?

Mine are all done by hand. I use airbrush, colored pencil, and acrylic on illustration board, but I do the occasional painting on canvas, too. I don’t do any digital work, except to scan and print.

 6)Aside from psp tubes, what else do you create with your artwork?

I own a frame shop in Ohio, so I do have another creative outlet. I design people’s artwork to be framed. It is creative because you are using color and texture to compliment an existing piece. It’s a balance. Its fun, I have been doing that for many years!

7) As you have developed your style and artwork, which artists have influenced you?

My biggest influences were artists like Frazetta, Bernie Wrightson, Jeffrey Catherine Jones, and a Spanish artist named Jose Gonzalez. He drew Vampirella for Warren Maganizes. I love his work!

 8) Does the psp community help artists become more well known with getting their names and artwork more visible?

Sure! I think it mostly helps promote you within the PSP world, but I do hear from people that see creations made from my work. It’s nice to know that my artwork is promoted by so many people! I am just glad that I can make a connection with people through art! 

 9) What do you enjoy the most about being part of the psp community?

I think the part that is the most fun is seeing everyone’s creativity. I think when taggers design, they reinterpret an image. Sometimes its kind of like I create a painting to say something, and what they do with it is the answer to what I said. It is fun because sometimes they take things in a totally different direction. 

10) What are some of your favorite art pieces which you have done and why?

Good question. I hear some artists think of their work as their “children”, but I am not that attached to my work. If you do a lot of work, you see about every third or fourth painting really shines. I look back and see things in older paintings that really mesh into something special after a few more pieces. I think my work is still evolving, so I like to think my favorite painting is the next one!

 11) Do you prefer tags with your art tubes animated or non animated? Or are both great to you?

I don’t see very many of mine animated. I don’t know if it is because FB doesn’t show them, or maybe people don’t animate much with my work. I like the ones I have seen, though.

12) Do you do commissions for taggers? How about ideas for tubes which taggers may have?

I haven’t worked on any tubes as commissions. My time is kind of limited, since I am running the frame shop too. I almost have to spend my free time on the publishing work I have to do. Then, if I have time, do my own work. 

13) Is there anything which you don't allow to be done with your artwork? For example mirroring, animation, etc.

I don’t think so, I don’t recall having any limitations on my work. I think if I am going to sell tubes, everyone should have the ability to create with them as they see fit.

14) Would you like to receive tags which our readers may do featuring your artwork? We often love to send the artists tags by our members.

I do get quite a few sent to my FB page! I do like seeing them. It is fun to see how other creators see and interpret the images. Sometimes I see things that make me want to go back and add their ideas to my paintings!   

No comments:

Post a Comment